This strategic plan aims at describing the high impact and sustainable operational model to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Chapter in 2020-2030. In honor of our Chapter’s mission to increase the representation of the Latino and other cultural groups in leadership roles, the goals, objectives, execution activities, and assessment of this plan, ensure the participation of individuals and organizations in professional development initiatives, that foster culturally inclusive professional opportunities in the healthcare industry and other fields.
The primary mission of the Chapter is to be the acknowledged local and regional organization for Latino/a and multicultural healthcare leaders and professionals, early careerists, students, local industry experts, community stakeholders, partners, sponsors, and individuals with aligned interests, goals, and values.
Be the premier organization to identify, develop, and connect Latino/a leaders at all levels and to grow the talent pool of multi-cultural healthcare leaders.
According to the Florida State Health Improvement Plan, one of the priority areas is to avoid inequalities and eliminate health care disparities. The goal is to “establish shared understanding across all sectors (including, but not limited to, state and local agencies and other organizations) concerning information and issues surrounding health equity, cultural competence, and how social determinants of health influence the health of Florida’s residents and communities.” (Florida Department of Health, 2019, p.3). Additionally, The Hispanic Health Assessment 2017 recommends an increase of cultural competencies and marketing strategies to increase community outreach and program effectiveness to better serve the Hispanic population and eliminate healthcare disparities (Pérez, 2017). As a response to these needs, NALHE Central Florida Chapter seeks to contribute to the enhancement of the community in Central Florida, with the vision to extend its efforts throughout the State of Florida, through the integration and promotion of education of the multicultural professionals in healthcare and other related fields.
Goals and Implementation
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to understand the operational environment and establish the accountability of the Chapter to identify gaps.
- Enhance and maintain the presence of the Chapter as a recognizable organization in the promotion of the Latino professionals in the healthcare and other fields.
- Connect with domestic and international universities, colleges, and other organizations to increase the number of members.
- Position NALHE Central Florida Chapter in the State of Florida through strategic community engagement efforts.
- Develop resources to ensure implementation of the plan and ongoing grant research projects.
- Identify the existing data to document the current state of knowledge about needs in the community, as well as protective and risk factors that affect equality/disparities in health (Literature review, by February 2020).
- Identify potential grant-funding sources (January, 2020).
- Write grant proposals (June, 2020).
- Educate and guide professionals and students through culturally competent training and workshops
- Create a survey to pre-assess the target audience.
- Creation focused, professional development resources in cultural competence.
- Partner with domestic and international organizations to strengthen the presence and credibility of the NALHE Central Florida Chapter.
*Pérez, E. (2017). Hispanic Health Assessment 2017. Retrieved from: http://orange.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2018/02/hispanic-halth-assessment.html
*Florida Department of Health (2019). Florida State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP) 2017-2021. Retrieved from http://www.floridahealth.gov/about/state-and-community-health-assessment/ship-process/_documents/FINAL_SHIPGSOs.pdf